What information do we collect?
Information You Provide – We and our service providers collect information that you provide when you use any Online Services, including, but not limited to, when you:
- sign up to receive our communications;
- join Higher Heights as a member or renew your membership;
- make a donation;
- contribute content to the Online Services, such as when you “Share Your Story” or comment on an article;
- use interactive features on the Online Services, such as our tools and apps or the chat feature; receive a gift with membership (e.g., selecting products from the Higher Heights Store);
- sign an online petition;
- apply for a job or for a volunteer or internship opportunity;
- enter a contest, sweepstakes, or promotion;
- participate in polls or surveys; or
- otherwise contact us with a question, comment, or request.
The information that you provide us may include, but is not limited to:
- your name;
- your photograph;
- your contact information, such as your physical address, email address, and phone number;
- your username, password, and other account information;
- demographic information such as your age, gender, and ethnicity;
- transaction-related information, such as credit card information;
- information you provide when submitting an application for employment, internship, or volunteer opportunities; and
- information you provide when you request information or contact us.
You have control over your own privacy. Think carefully before providing any personal or financial information online.
How do we use your information?
- providing you with products, services, or information you request;
- processing any transactions you have authorized;
- following up on services or information we provided to you;
- contacting you about fundraising campaigns or advocacy efforts;
- delivering advertisements targeted to your interests based on your previous your historical use of the Online Services (“Targeted Advertisements”) as well as other marketing communications, promotional materials, or advertisements that may be of interest to you;
- conducting research;
- providing you with information about the Online Services or required notices;
- allowing us to improve the Online Services and the services we provide, such as by better tailoring our content to our users’ needs and preferences;
- generating and analyzing statistics about your use of the Online Services; and
Under what circumstances do we disclose your information?
We may disclose the information we collect from or about you through the Online Services:
- to our affiliates;
- to service providers who work on our behalf and who have agreed to keep the information confidential and use the information solely to carry out the services that they are performing for us, including, but not limited to, service providers who process credit card transactions, facilitate our fundraising activities and campaigns, and deliver Targeted Advertisements on our behalf;
- to other organizations that work with us for the provision of co-branded communications about Higher Heights and those organizations’ products or services;
- to other like-minded organizations with whom Higher Heights participates in exchanges of donor information (e.g., donor list rental) and the service providers that facilitate such exchanges; however we will never sell or rent your personally identifiable information to any for-profit business for marketing or other commercial purposes;
- as required by law, such as to comply government reporting obligations, a subpoena or other legal process, or a court order;
- to service providers, advisors, and other third parties to the extent reasonably necessary to proceed with the negotiation or completion of a merger, acquisition, or sale of all or a portion of our assets.
In addition, we may share information that is not personally identifiable, such as reports on user demographics and traffic patterns, with third parties, including researchers.
Any personal information or content that you voluntarily contribute to the Online Services, such as when you “Share Your Story” or comment on an article, becomes available to the public, as controlled by any applicable privacy or website customization settings. If you remove such information or content, copies may remain viewable in cached and archived pages, or if other users have copied or saved that information.
Links to Others Websites and Applications
Higher Heights uses the NationBuilder platform to organize our community of members, supporters and prospects. You can read more about that company and its features and polices at NationBuilder.com. When you visit www.HigherHeightsforAmerica.org, NationBuilder may send one or more cookies – a small text file containing a string of alphanumeric characters – to your computer that uniquely identifies your browser and lets NationBuilder help you log in faster and enhance your navigation through www.HigherHeightsforAmerica.org. A cookie does not collect personal information about you. A persistent cookie remains on your hard drive after you close your browser. Persistent cookies may be used by your browser on subsequent visits to the site. Persistent cookies can be removed by following your web browser’s directions. A session cookie is temporary and disappears after you close your browser. You can reset your web browser to refuse all cookies or to indicate when a cookie is being sent. However, some features of www.HigherHeightsforAmerica.org may not function properly if the ability to accept cookies is disabled. You can read more about how the NationBuilder service interacts with and protects your information at nationbuilder.com/privacy and nationbuilder.com/confidentiality.
Your Privacy Rights
If you reside in California and have provided your personally identifiable information to us, you may request information once per calendar year about our disclosures of certain categories of your personally identifiable information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, you must email it to us at the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
You may unsubscribe from any of the Online Services by following the instructions given (e.g., following the instructions at the bottom of an email from us). If you unsubscribe from any of the Online Services or otherwise terminate or deactivate your account, Higher Heights may retain your profile information and user content for a reasonable time for archival purposes. Furthermore, Higher Heights may retain and continue to use indefinitely all information (including user content) contained in your communications to other users or posted to public or semi-public areas of the Online Services after termination or deactivation of your account.
Where is your information processed?
Information collected through the Online Services will be processed in and subject to the laws of the United States.
How is your information secured?
We strive to maintain reasonable administrative, technical, and physical safeguards designed to safeguard the information collected through the Online Services. However, no information system can be 100% secure, so we cannot guarantee the absolute security of your information. Moreover, we are not responsible for the security of information you transmit to the Online Services over networks that we do not control, including the Internet and wireless networks. If you have concerns about the security of sensitive information, do not send it electronically.
Protecting the privacy of young children is especially important. For that reason, Higher Heights does not knowingly collect or solicit personal information from anyone under the age of 13 or knowingly allow such persons to register for the Online Services. If you are under 13, please do not send any information about yourself to us, including your name, address, telephone number, or email address. No one under age 13 is allowed to provide any personal information to or on the Online Services. In the event that we learn that we have collected personal information from a child under age 13 without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information as quickly as possible. If you believe that we might have any information from or about a child under 13, please contact us at email@example.com.
147 Prince Street, Suite 36
Brooklyn, NY 11201
When you contact us or otherwise submit content via the Online Services, if you desire to remain anonymous, you should not tell us your name or the names of your friends or any other individuals. To fully protect your privacy, do not provide any information that you think may identify you or others.